- The Trauma of Decolonization: the Dutch and West New Guinea, (Yale University Press, 1966).
- The Politics of Accommodation: Pluralism and Democracy in the Netherlands, (University of California Press, 1968).
- Democracy in Plural Societies: A Comparative Exploration, (Yale University Press, 1977).
- Democracies: Patterns of Majoritarian and Consensus Government in Twenty-one Countries, (Yale University Press, 1984).
- Power-sharing in South Africa, (Institute of International Studies, University of California, 1985).
- Electoral Systems and Party Systems: A Study of Twenty-seven Democracies, 1945-1990, (Oxford University Press, 1994).
- Patterns of Democracy: Government Forms and Performance in Thirty-six Countries, (Yale University Press, 1999, 2nd ed., 2012).
- Thinking about Democracy: Power Sharing and Majority Rule in Theory and Practice, (Routledge, 2007).
- World Politics: the Writings of Theorists and Practitioners, Classical and Modern, (Allyn & Bacon, 1966).
- Conflict and Coexistence in Belgium: the Dynamics of a Culturally Divided Society, (Institute of International Studies, University of California , 1981).
- Parliamentary versus Presidential Government, (Oxford University Press, 1992).
- Choosing an Electoral System: Issues and Alternatives, co-edited with Bernard Grofman, (Praeger, 1984).
- Electoral Laws and their Political Consequences, co-edited with Bernard Grofman, (Agathon Press, 1986).
- Institutional Design in New Democracies: Eastern Europe and Latin America, co-edited with Carlos H. Waisman, (Westview Press, 1996).
- Liberalization and Leninist Legacies: Comparative Perspectives on Democratic Transitions, co-edited with Beverly Crawford, (University of California, Berkeley, 1997).
- The Evolution of Electoral and Party Systems in the Nordic Countries, co-edited with Bernard Grofman, (Agathon Publishers, 2002).